Thursday, October 06, 2011

Imaginary diaries of the King Henry VIII


By: Tracy Trinita 


Imaginary diaries of the King Henry VIII


Introduction
         Henry VIII was a significant figure in the history of the English monarchy.
He was born as a child of a king but it was his older brother Arthur who was supposed to reign. But destiny changed when Arthur became ill and died at the age of sixteen.
Arthur left a young wife named Catherine of the Aragon. Yes, it was an arranged marriage; King Henry VII needed to have a strong bond with the Spanish Kingdom for political reasons.  Therefore, Arthur was married to the young maiden Catherine. The King commanded his son Henry VIII to marry her as soon he was ready.  Even though he thought to marry this young widow he would later change his mind.

         Henry VIII, became a king on 21 April 1509.  After having lost many children to death during infancy, king Henry started to question of his marriage to Catherine, seeing it as a curse. Even though he thought of divorcing her and marrying another woman, he could not.  England at that time was under the Roman Catholic Church and in the Church’s view only death could separate married couple.

         A ‘shining light’ came out in the midst of his darkness of confusion, he met a woman that changed him and made him more than ever before desire to give up Catherine and marry the girl named Anne Boleyn. At this point king Henry found support from a Christian theologian named Thomas Cranmer who happened to know Anne’s family and had been influenced by the German Reformation.
         There is a triangle of need: King Henry VIII wants to be with Anne Boleyn badly at any price, Anne Boleyn wants to become the Queen and would not settle for less than that, and for Thomas Cranmer this is an opportunity to bring the Reformation to England, so the people can freely have the Bible translated in English and many of his ministry’s agenda enacted.

         In the midst of this conflict of interest in England, history was being rocked by the raising of the Protestant cause and the temporary falling of the Catholic Church in some areas of Europe.
In these times the Anglican church was born, after many struggles concerning the separating from the Roman hierarchy, at last King Henry became the Supreme Head of the Church of England. For his help, Cranmer was appointed archbishop of Canterbury in March 1533.  
         In this project I will attempt to imagine king Henry VIII diary.  What would he write about the significant moment in his year and the climax of the story of when he was becoming the Supreme Head of the Church of England. To see the real motivation of his heart and how God used that to bring change in the church in England, it was not a Protestant Reformation, yet, but it was the beginning.

Imaginary diaries of the King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
Some have reported that out “of the 500 living in the diocese of Canterbury for example, only twenty six parish priests were recorded as at all absent and then mostly on administrative business” they also say “we need more school masters and less irresponsible priests who love money more than God”.
Why would I care? This is not supposed to be my concern; surely it is the responsibility of the Papal authority of the Roman church.
On another note, I am astonished with the long-line of pilgrims to ‘Our Lady of Walingham’ in Norfork. Where a sacred milk of the virgin becoming a legend and they believe it was transported directly from the Holy Land to East Anglia. And yet some scholars complain that in the Holy Bible there is no such a thing! I was asked to grant the right to publish Wyclif and Lorrards’ Bible translation, would I grant that request? Of course not, my own Father is against this, why would I not be too?

The birth of Prince Henry
Today is my happiest day. Finally, after waiting for many years I finally have an heir.
A lovely son was born today and I named him Prince Henry.
He is the apple of my eyes, my beloved son.  I saw my wife, Queen Catherine of Aragon, ooh poor Catherine she was exhausted from hours of birth labour, but at last her labour is not in vain. This beautiful baby will fill our days with so much laughter and joy.
Out of gratefulness for this wonderful blessing, I will be going to Norfolk to pray to Our Lady of Walsingham, to give thanks for being the patron for our little Prince Henry.  I prepared this beautiful precious Ruby necklace too and I also spent 48 shillings and 8 pence to burn the King’s candle; that should be enough for years of candlelight burning.  I will do anything for my little prince’s well being. For now, I will be going to see my little precious prince Henry again.

Death of Prince Henry – 22 February 1511
My heart shrivels, I’m in my darkest hour, the mourning,
The cry of my heart, I am crushed. Why has this had to happen to me.
I was so joyful to know I finally had a son,
My little precious Prince Henry and now is all gone.
Why? Why did he have to die at such a young age?
Just weeks of life, why? My heart kept asking and no one dared to answer. Is it not enough, Lady of Walingham? The ruby necklace and years supply of candles. Why could you not save my son, protect him? Do I have to go to all the Saints for his safety? I really do not know what is happening in my life. Am I under a curse? Is it because I married my brother’s wife? If that was wrong, how was I to know? I was only eleven years old when my older Brother died and left his wife a widow at the age of sixteen. Every time Catherine bore a child, very soon it dies.  Who is bearing the mistakes here, if I’m under curse, why and how am I to remove it? I am crushed, I cannot see the morning, all is cloudy and dark. I just want my son back. “Death of my son and heir has stung me grievously. No sooner had we celebrated and given thanks for him, the good Lord has called my son back to his arms. My lady wife, who “like a natural woman” was devastated by the news and “made much lamentation”. I had comforted her “wondrous wisely”, and hoped in time my beloved Queen may accept the death of our beloved prince as the will of God. Like a true King, I shall make no great mourning outwardly, but shall spend lavishly on a funeral for Prince Henry.”

1516
Catherine just gave birth, I’ve been waiting for 9 months and 10 days for this baby, will it be a heir, a little prince for me? There is knocking on my door. I have to go.
I am now back at the king’s desk, back at the deepest disappointment. A daughter was born and we named her Mary.
I should be grateful, she is healthy, so is the mother. Did not the Spanish kingdom heavily advertise that the Spanish princess was full of fruitfulness and promise for me ‘you will have an heir’ they said. I hope when I introduce Princess Mary to the people, I will not look disappointed, I need to hide this well.

1520
For many months my people were preparing beautifully made costumes, I am looking forward to winning this battle. This is not a common war with swords and lances but with something more deadly: style. Who said that kings do not have sense of humour? It was the New Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V’s Idea for his son King Francis I and I, King Henry VIII, to demonstrate the decoration and design of each kingdom in clothing.  At the “field of the cloth of gold” we had our grand parade involving thousands of people.
But, something caught my eye more than the splendour of the costumes… the women.
How marvellous God created them.
  
Mistress – 1523
I can do anything to anyone, for the power of the King is unlimited. Well, I could not help it but to blush when Mary Boleyn constantly complimented me. I start to sense a little guilty pleasure after all she is a married woman. But there is something within me thought this is fine, her husband does not get upset at me, he should not. After all, it was not king David and Bethseba. Nevertheless the Boleyn’s family is such a fine family, very well educated; both of the daughters Mary and Anne went to France to be lady in waiting at the palace.

Drawn to Anne – 1525
There is something about her I do not know what exactly it is yet. There is some attractiveness beyond her beauty and that long black hair and wide eyes, they do not catch me much, but I’m falling for something bigger within. I want her. I could not think of anything in the world right now but to have her. She is perfect the woman courtier. Her carriage was graceful and her French clothes were pleasing and stylish; she danced with ease, had a pleasant singing voice, played the lute and several other musical instruments well, and spoke French fluently. A remarkable, intelligent, quick-witted young noblewoman... that first drew people into conversation with her and then she amused and entertained them. In short, her energy and vitality makes her the centre of attention in any social gathering. And I could not want her more, I want her so badly.



“Declare I dare not” – February 1526
A lady of grace, wit, and sophistication has touched upon my heart. My heart seeks to know more of thee.
I could not be bothered much about anything else, Anne filled my mind and seduced me somehow. I heard in a report that 3000 copies of Tyndale’s translation of the New Testament were actuality printed in the German city of Worms.  They became portable enough to be smuggled into England through the Lutheran-Lollard underground that flourished especially in port cities, which had regular contacts with Protestant Northern Europe. Sailors from Hull, who had visited Bremen and had been astonished by a place where priests were married, brought back the Bibles hidden in casks of wax or grain. What can I do about it? I really think this should be handle very soon, but for now I want to get what I want.

Summer 1526
I was dancing with Anne in front of my queen Catherine. Could she see the spark in my eyes when I saw Anne? As the music flows I wonder if Anne should be my future wife?  After all, I think I discover I am under a curse for marrying my dead brother’s wife. I am clear that this is in Levitius 20:21 and this is exactly what I did wrong too. I asked Anne to be with me, be my mistress, be there for me at the palace, to my surprise she refused, "I beseech your highness most earnestly to desist, and to this my answer in good part. I would rather lose my life than my honesty." she ended with a little smile and looked down.  She deserves better than what I offer, I would agree.
“How I wish I could tell the world of you! Alas, declare je nos (declare I dare not). My lady is of the highest virtue and will not surrender. Upon her rejection, I told her that I shall live in hope. And yet again she proclaimed that I should not retain any hope as she cannot be my wife as she is unworthy and I have a queen. My lady has the soul of an angel and a spirit worthy of a crown!”

Doubts of marriage to Katherine of Aragon – 1527

For some years past, I have turned to my bible in search of guidance. Again and again I return to the passage in chapter 20 of the Book of Leviticus, which warned severely of the penalty inflicted by God on a man who married his brother’s widow: “And if a man shall take his brother’s wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother’s nakedness; they shall be childless.” Beloved as she is, the Princess Mary is no Prince. England still needs a Prince and an heir. Can the prohibition in Leviticus be applied to my own marriage? Has God punished us both for offending Him in this marriage by denying us sons? My conscience demands something to be done.
And yet, I cannot forget the sight of the then young Infant Katherine as she made her way into London, or the sight of her on her wedding day to my brother Arthur, her dignity and calm in the face of poverty during her widowhood and finally as the most beautiful of brides and queen.
England still needs a Prince! Perhaps this is the time for an application for annulment?

May 1527
I have decided to test the validity of my marriage in the ecclesiastical courts. It is the only way. My lady has professed her love and devotion to me. It is time. God has punished me for wedding my brother’s widow. Thus making our union invalid and unlawful.  I have instructed Wolsey to take steps to instigate proceeding.
I set my hopes upon a direct appeal to the Holy See, acting independently of Cardinal Wolsey, to whom I at first communicated nothing of his plans related to Anne. Of course my only reason is a few and that would be to marry Anne and to have a heir from her.
I told my secretary William Knight, to send a letter to Pope Clement VII to sue for the annulment of my marriage to Catherine, on the grounds that the dispensing bull of Pope Julius II was obtained by false pretences. I also petitioned, in the event of my moment of becoming a free man, a dispensation to contract a new marriage with any woman even in the first degree of affinity, whether the affinity was contracted by lawful or unlawful connection. I just want to make sure I can marry my beloved Anne.

June 1527
The Queen was in great grief as I informed her of my troubled conscience, and my resolve to separate myself from her at bed and at board. I tried to pacify her, saying that I hoped I might be allowed to return to her, as I only wished to find out the truth of our marriage. I begged her not to speak of the matter to anyone. I assured her that all will be well. Katherine was apprehensive. I could do nothing but leave.


1531
Queen Catherine was banished from court and her old rooms were given to my beloved Anne. With Wolsey gone, Anne now had considerable power over government appointments and political matters. I’m glad she is able to take some important role in the society. We just heard the Archbishop of Canterbury William Warham had just died, Anne suggested that the Boleyn family's chaplain, Thomas Cranmer, should be appointed to the vacant position. After all I must thank him for standing for us and giving us this possibility to be married and to take the leadership of the church. Cranmer requested of me to grant the right for publishing a few theological books. I have to decide soon.

February 1531
I stood in Parliament and demanded that the Church of England recognize and acknowledge I, the King, as its sole protector and supreme head. The English Reformation was born at a time where the Holy See had become an institution increasingly at odds with the burgeoning nationalism of English people.

1532
The breaking of the power of Rome in England proceeded slowly. A lawyer who was a supporter of Anne, Thomas Cromwell, brought before Parliament a number of acts including the Supplication against the Ordinaries and the Submission of the Clergy, which recognised Royal Supremacy over the church. Following these acts, Thomas More resigned as Chancellor, leaving Cromwell as my chief minister.


1533
The wedding between Anne and I actually took place on 25 January 1533.
Catherine was formally stripped of her title as queen, and Anne was consequently crowned queen consort on 1 June 1533. The queen gave birth slightly prematurely on 7 September 1533. Anne had given birth to a girl who was christened Elizabeth, in honour of my mother, Elizabeth of York.

I am happy that by rejecting the decisions of the Pope, Parliament validated the marriage of Anne and I with the Act of Succession. Catherine's daughter, Lady Mary, was declared illegitimate, and I want to make sure Anne's issue were declared next in the line of succession. Most notable in this declaration was a clause repudiating "any foreign authority, prince or potentate". All adults in the Kingdom were required to acknowledge the Act's provisions by oath and those who refused were subject to imprisonment for life. Any publisher or printer of any literature alleging that the marriage was invalid was automatically guilty of high treason and could be punished by death.

1534
Just right before separating from Rome during my reign, I am well aware of a theological separation that had been foreshadowed by various movements within the English church such as Lollardy,
The Emperor Charles V, Pope Clement VII refused the annulment, of course he would because I am very clear he is under pressure from his aunt Catherine of Aragon. Eventually, I, although I believe theologically a doctrinal Catholic, took the position of Supreme Head of the Church of England to ensure the annulment of my marriage. The price for this was excommunication by Pope Paul III but I am taking the higher leadership, just one before God.  The Act of Supremacy 1534 declared that the King was "the only Supreme Head in Earth of the Church of England"



By: Tracy Trinita 

Bibliography

Schama, Simon. History of Britain 1. 3000 BC-AD 1603 At the age of the world?. BBC Book. 2003. England.

Weir, A.,. The Six Wives of Henry VIII. Bodley Head. 1991. London





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh gosh, cantik dan cerdas, satu lagi masih single... ooo

jansenicus said...

"If I’m under a curse, why and how am I going to remove it? I felt crushed, I cannot perceive light of the morning, all seems cloudy and dark" as I rephrase your imaginary diary for that sentence captures my mind.

Anonymous said...

hi Tracy, there is an update on the relationship between Catholic Church and Anglican Church, please read:
http://www.zenit.org/article-23376?l=english

Unknown said...

An interesting story,..Great!